Ravelympics 2010- The Pregame Show

Ron:  With less than 24 hours until the 2010 Ravelympics kickoff, we're here with one of the contestants Ms. Sutton, what you can tell us about this year's competition?

Toni:  Well Ron, to date there are more than 8300 knitters from around the world signed up and ready to compete.  Some will be competing on multiple events--such as perhaps the Scarf Super-G as well as Sock Hockey--while some of us are tackling a single, larger project.


Ron:  So participants have 16 days to complete their events.  That's a lot of pressure for what many of us would consider a grandmotherly-sort of sport.

Toni:  Don't let the stereotypes fool you.  Anyone who has ever witnessed the carnage at a 50%-off sale of cashmere yarn can tell you, knitting is not for the timid.


Ron:  You're signed up for the Sweaterboard Cross and the Stash Compulsory Dance, which--let me get this straight--is an ENTIRE sweater made from stash yarn within 16 days.  Is that correct?

Toni  Yes, Ron, it sure is.


Ron:  16 days--that's a pretty big challenge.  To attempt such an extreme knitting feat, is there training involved, or some sort of practice or preparation involved?

Toni:  Definitely.  This is not something to be attempted by the first-time knitter.


Ron  What sort of training goes in to preparing for the Ravelympics.

Toni:  Well, first the knitter has to learn to set ridiculous goals with incredibly tight time frames.  Most of us achieve this by deciding to knit a Christmas sweater or afghan around December 1.  Not every knitter can make it.  Most don't--many spend Christmas eve with 4 pots of coffee and a nervous tic in one eye to get there.  It's a grueling training process.  Often there are tears...occasionally the knitting project will be savagely flung into a food processor out of frustration.  Definitely not a sport for the timid.

Ron:  With just under 24 hours before the mass cast-on, tensions are running high.  Stay with us for our continuing LIVE coverage of the 2010 Ravelympics......

Comments

Qutecowgirl said…
=) very funny. I joined the Harlot's knitting Olympics and also doing a sweater. Stardust from Knitty. I almost picked Drift too. Instead I decided to drive myself even more nuts and pick a dk weight sweater.

This ought to be fun!!! = ) (or crazy inducing though that might be fun in a way too)
Mandy said…
Great fun! I really enjoyed reading your post.
Janet said…
I was too late to get signed up for this year, but I will be joining in the fun anyway. I am going to finish my saddle shoulder vest, and then casting on and hopefully finish my sons vest during this time frame. I decided I didn't need the extra challenge and pressure from being signed in, lol. Looking forward to more of your witty posts on the ravelympics.

Popular posts from this blog

Ostrich Plume Scarf

Prabook.org - Identity Theft R Us

The Great Knit Picks Fiasco