Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 16 Of Jeeves Watch

I called the dealership yesterday, and the part still hadn't arrived yet.  I believe he said it was coming from Tennessee.  According to Google Maps, it would take 1 day and 8 hours to drive from Boise, Idaho to Tennessee.  Throwing in a night to sleep and a few stops for eating & peeing, that still doesn't explain how it could take longer than 16 days for a part to come ONE DIRECTION ONLY.  I realize they probably shipped it via the cheapest rate possible because it is warranty work & they can't stick me with the bill, but it does make me wonder about shipping companies.  If you give them insane amounts of money, your stuff arrives pretty darn quickly--like in that 1 day, 8 hour time frame.  If you give them a slightly less insane amount of money, they'll deliver it less speedily--like someone taking breaks to stop, eat, and occasionally pee.  If you give them the least amount of money possible, how do they stretch it out for longer than 2 weeks?  Strap in on the back of a sight-seeing bus that is doing to stop at every wax museum and large ball of twine exhibit on the way???????? 

I have accepted that I won't have Jeeves for Finishing Friday yet again, but I can't help hoping that I might get him back before we hit day 20, so I have been doing a little "stocking up."  You know, just in case the three garments and the summer towels weren't quite enough for the upcoming marathon.....

First we have more towels:
then I found some tablecloths on clearance that I want to embroider.  These will be decorated for Soup Night,
and these with snowflakes for winter
(There are two of each because when we do parties we always bring out a folding table to put in our dining area along with the regular table.  The thought of finally getting to do embroidery hasn't snapped my brain THAT far yet.......)

I will, of course, be doing a test run on scrap material this time, because this
is what happened when I trusted the repair man to have double-checked his work.  The thread tension was set WAY too tight, so the thread kept breaking, and because the buttons didn't work, I couldn't back up.  So, it's basically ruined but at least now I know not to trust the repair man to have actually checked his work.  $89 in labor just doesn't go as far as it used to, I guess........


I also picked up some material for a new picnic bag idea I've been kicking around.  I want a heavy material that would be durable but washable, so I picked up some green denim
for one version, and this
for another.  It's the old blue & white woven stuff called "ticking" that they used to make mattresses out of.  I remember seeing a lot of it as a kid, and it must be pretty tough stuff.  I think I'll embroider designs on each of them--something a bit old-fashioned for the ticking.

Meanwhile, Theo is holding out for cutting out YET ANOTHER project
but I'm standing firm.  At least until tomorrow....................

2 comments:

Daniele said...

Okay - I can see you are really needing Jeeves.... Since Tennessee is a lot closer to Ohio than it is to Idaho - let me know if you need me to take a trip down and kick some bootay! :)

Crossing my fingers here for you!

Abby said...

Couldn't they send the part priority mail?!? I was in Amish country this morning and noticed that the bearded and suspendered men were wearing homemade shirts. I'm guessing they were stitched by hand or by treadle machine. Maybe you should trade Jeeves in? ;-)