Thursday, September 14, 2017

And Vacation Is Almost Over............

Okay--so it's time to admit that I'm NOT going to have all the boxes unpacked before going back to work, but that's okay.  I've made progress, though, and some of the time we can even find stuff.  It's worth it, though.  About 2 weeks ago there was a wreck at the intersection leading into our old subdivision because of the crazy school traffic, and the only surprise is that it didn't happen sooner.  And that's before the new subdivision of overcrowded homes has gone in.  Even if the F35s are sent elsewhere, it's great to be out of there. 

I took yesterday off to sew AND get some pictures of my sewing progress.  I'm very proud of this:
I have no idea what I intended to do with this fabric--especially since there wasn't enough of it to do most patterns--so since there was no emotional stake here, I convinced myself to embroider the bottom edges of the sleeves. 
With embroidering, there's always a chance it won't work, and I didn't have enough fabric to cut out new sleeves if it went badly, so I did the sleeves first, so I wasn't throwing away a half-finished shirt.  It's a bit stiff in the picture because I used tearaway stabilizer, which is a bit stiff, but will soften up and come out. I'm thrilled with how it looks and excited for cooler weather.  I also finished the microsuede pants, and
have embroidered the pocket of the next shirt!  I don't have all the pieces for this shirt cut out yet, partly because
 
the kittens have discovered sewing.  Also house plants, ankle biting, bubble wrap, and the joys of sitting on keyboards.  Theo is doing better with them--sometimes  even playing with them, which is fun.  Sometimes he walks off muttering under his breathe about those pesky kids, but we think he likes the company--at least when Milo isn't pouncing on him.  We're very careful to give Theo time without them, because they are exhausting and he's 11. All 3 of them in the sewing room can be challenging, but I did manage to sort out some fabric to donate:
It's only 2 1/8 yards, but admitting that I'm never going to do anything with these was very freeing.  Let them find a better home, while I move on to fabrics I really want to play with, like these:
I watched a video making tumbling blocks look fun and relatively easy, but partway through I decided it was a bit monotonous with just three colors.  Luckily a humongous fabric stash has its perks, like providing lots of options if you can find them, so I added a few lavender blocks scattered throughout the quilt:
Because I have space now, I was able to add a design wall, which has been SO helpful with this project!  I love it.  I played with the layout a lot, and now I'm sewing everything together into strips and it's keeping them straight for me.  I'm not sure what I'll do to quilt it yet, but I'm thinking either a variegated blue/purple thread or purple thread.  The darker blue print has shades of purple in it, so I think it will be a nice accent and a bit of a creative stretch for me.  I can get a bit hung up on whether or not something will work, but having just moved my fabric stash, I keep reminding myself that I have an INCREDIBLE amount of fabric, and if I mess up a project, I can just start another one from stash and it won't really matter.  Maybe I should paint that on the wall in the sewing room.......I have a lot of fabric still to get through.....:)

3 comments:

Mereknits said...

Good job with the unpacking and the sewing. I think you definitely deserved a sewing day. Sending you a hug.

RobinH said...

Ooh, I love how those blues play together. And the extra sewing assistants are adorable (if probably not 'helpful' in the literal sense of the word!) Glad to hear that you've been able to get in some sewing time.

handmade by amalia said...

You deserve to feel proud - the blouse is fantastic and the embroidery adds so much interest. I also like the color.
Amalia
xo