Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Winter = Sweaters

We have managed to not lose power, but other parts of the state haven't been so lucky.  Now we've had 3 days of heavy rain here, which melted off much of our snow
but has led to flooding, rock slides, and avalanches.  In one of the weirdest twists of fate, one of the nearby ski resorts is closing tomorrow because of TOO MUCH snowI've never seen that.  With everything going on with our crazy winter, I was a bit unenthusiastic about putting these up
and my hip/back was even less so as I did something and threw it out, landing myself in bed for the last day and a half.  I'm better today, and I keep trying to remind myself that winter justifies knitting lots and lots of sweaters.  To emphasize this, for Me Made Monday I wore the first wearable sweater I ever knit:
Sure, it was supposed to be in cotton and I made it in some bizarre acrylic that Red Heart no longer even makes, but compared to my earlier sweater attempts, that was only a mildly wrong substitution.  It's 30 years old, and had I actually made it with the right yarn, it might look a little dated now.  Instead, it just looks like a sweater made from very cheap yarn......

5 comments:

bittenbyknittin said...

I have the first wearable sweater I ever knit, too. It was for my dad, of some kind of acrylic, but it must have been good acrylic because it fooled my stepmother into thinking it was wool. Dad is gone but I think of him whenever I wear that sweater.

RobinH said...

Toni, it looks fine, and one thing about acrylic- it's pretty warm and wears well. Plus, after scuffing your feet on the carpet a few times, you can deliver a pretty effective shock to the cat who woke you up wanting to be fed at 4 am.

Okay, don't hate me. I made a sweater as my third knitting project ever (after 2 pairs of mittens), and not only was it wearable, it fit me well, looked okay (it was also made of cheap acrylic), and the only reason I don't still have it is I wore it until it fell apart. I just wish I still had the pattern- it was a great basic pattern from a magazine my mom had, but I have no idea which one it was.

Mereknits said...

IT is all the shoveling you have been doing that is bad for your back. I hope you are feeling better. I just donated 10 sweaters I made int he past that have been in a bin in my closet. Out with the old and in with the new!

handmade by amalia said...

Sounds like you're having a proper winter, Toni. Stay warm! We don't get any snow around here.
Amalia
xo

Amy at love made my home said...

I love the last comment about your sweater! I hope you are feeling better by now and that things have improved for you weatherwise too. Take care!