Thursday, April 7, 2016

We've Reached That Time of Year

It's 40 degrees this morning, and will be an unseasonably warm 80 by the end of the day.  I used to fret that I didn't have and appropriate clothing for such temperature swings, but I have now decided that there IS no appropriate clothing for 40-degree swings.  For Me Made Monday I opted for the first 25-piece jacket I made:
 
which is, incidentally, not warm enough for morning and too warm for afternoons.  But it looks spectacular in my closet, don't you think?

Tomorrow I have the day off, so I'm hoping to get some more sewing & quilting projects prepped.  I'm so exhausted by the end of the day that I haven't been sewing in the evenings after I got the jacket finished.  I need VERY simple projects when I'm tired, and while I still make an awful lot of stupid decisions, trying to lay out fabric while tired isn't one of them.  Not anymore, at least.  Or not this week.

It has now been 102 days since I last bought fabric, and there was a moment this week when I thought this might be a problem.  Those of you who sew have probably heard that Hancock Fabrics is going out of business.  Those of you who have been in one of their stores in recent years probably won't be surprised by this--I know I wasn't.  However, they were the only local place to find nicer apparel fabrics like gaberdine, wool anything, sheeting, etc. Gabardine on clearance might have really done it for me, but if you visit their website, you'll find that the liquidators have everything marked up HIGHER than anything has been for years.  Even patterns, which are almost always on special somewhere for $1-$2 are only half off, and they have bins of those things to clear out.  So, I'm not even tempted.  Between their constant upselling, fabric consistently being cut crooked because their counters didn't have scissor-guides and humans cannot cut straight, getting shorted yardage repeatedly through their website, and their stores not carrying a nicer thread than Coats & Clark, I rarely used them anymore anyway.  When I use up enough fabric to legitimately need to find more apparel fabric, I guess I'll be checking the internet--or whatever the new communication tool is in 2025......

4 comments:

RobinH said...

The appropriate apparel for those temperature swings is layers. I tend to be constantly putting on and taking off layers depending on whether I'm sitting in front of a computer for way too long vs up and moving around, vs. attending a meeting in the conference room that would be better used for a refrigerator vs standing on the production floor next to a machine pumping out heat.

Patty/btownknitter said...

I didn't realize all the Hancocks were closing. I just thought the one here was. I only shopped there in desperation as it was close but it was rarely a happy experience.

Amy at love made my home said...

Well done to the shop for putting you off??? Perhaps!! I wonder what the communication method will be in 2025, perhaps we will just imagine what we want and it will appear magically before us! That could be really good or really bad couldn't it! xx

Mereknits said...

Love the jacket, but had no idea about Hancock fabrics, I think the closet one is in Tampa.
I am not going way over there.
Hugs,
Meredith