Friday, April 8, 2016

Crafting Friday

So while there is still a black tank top to be finished, I started my morning with this:
I had read that to preshrink precuts, one should steam them with the iron.  I have also read that wizards use owls as a postal system and that true princesses can feel a pea underneath any number of mattresses, and while I'm not exactly sure about the pea thing or whether owls really would ever carry packages, I am pretty well convinced that steaming strips doesn't really shrink them.  I could have paired the unshrunk strips with cotton batting and just hope for the best, but I have enough trouble with quilting without throwing unpredictable shrinkage into the mix.  So, I sent them through the washer and dryer in a lingerie bag, which works pretty well as long as you don't mind ironing a bunch of VERY wrinkled strips
and have a pattern that doesn't require strips to be exactly 2.5-inches wide.  Oh yeah--what could possibly go wrong here. 

The strips are set for after-work sewing, but since I had today off,
I cut out and started the butterfly jacket.   I was too sore to actually finish it today, but it's started and aside from one spot, it really isn't a difficult pattern.  The fabric, of course, is a nightmare even when stiffened, but it's better.  And I really do love wearing loose jackets like this, so I'm kind of excited about it. 

The new job is going pretty well, I think.  I am getting pretty decent with looking up inventory, though yesterday someone came in asking about reeds for a practice chanter for learning bagpipes, and I was so stumped that I couldn't even figure out how to look that one up in the system.  Luckily, I can call the main store for things like that.  Tomorrow is my first day on my own.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Mereknits said...

Hope you had a great day at work yesterday, I am so glad you are loving your new job.
Hugs,
Meredith

RobinH said...

Good luck! I have musical friends, and their son (a teenager) is trying to 'rescue' neglected instruments by learning to play them. It's this kind of attitude that leads to folk bassoon accompaniment. Hopefully you won't have too many customers like that to strain your new knowledge base!