Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Almost 25

With the finished table runner,
I have now used up almost 25 yards of fabric from the stash so far this year.  Yay!  And,
I have started Andy's Valentine shirt finally!  Actually, because the fabric turned out to be 60-inches wide rather than 45, I cut out a tunic for me as well and still have just over a yard left.
I wish there were a Ravelry for sewing, but so far all the websites I've seen are clunky or not that great, so to try to control my fabric stash, I have a spreadsheet and have slowly been adding everything to index cards.  The cards are nice because I can pin them to the fabric (and glue a scrap of the fabric to the back), but the spreadsheet is much faster to search.  Since I started the spreadsheet before Ravelry, my early yarn stash is on there as well, and so it's not set up to get an accurate tally of how much fabric I have, but maybe that's just as well.  It might frighten me too much.

However,  I think sorting through the fabric stash a little bit at a time is probably good for me.  I find things like this,
which I like but didn't remember buying.  Doesn't it look like a fun spring fabric?

It was underneath 6 yards of pink and black suiting, which I do actually remember, and which has been in danger of fading in the sunlight.
In the same shelf, I found 4 yards of some sort of blend,
 almost 6 yards of a wonderful hunter green twill suiting,
 3.5 yards of a border print,
6 yards of a plush/fine-wale corduroy,
which is REALLY fabulous and which I can't believe I forgot.  Since I might not get to any of them by the end of the year,
I put them in plastic bags to protect them from dust and light, and returned them to the shelf.  The good news is, that shelf contains 30.5 yards of fabric--so I will have almost emptied out one shelf of fabric so far this year.  At this rate, I could empty 5 or 6 shelves this year (you know, if all the fabric were actually in shelves, of course).  THAT would be a very, VERY visible dent.  My sewing room might not even frighten my friends by the end of the year!!!!!!!!  Or at least not if I give them a glass of wine first.......

In other exciting sewing news, I found the sleeves:
of a microsuede shirt I started and destroyed using decorative stitching.  I found the extra fabric and have enough of it to make a new front and back, but without the sleeves, I haven't bothered yet.  HOWEVER, this is part of a full pant set, so there could be some very fast and easy yardage in finishing this.  And another outfit ready for Me Made Mondays!

Hey--thinking REALY optimistically--maybe if I get 100-200 yards of fabric used up this year, I would quit LOSING things  in the sewing room!!  One can always dream...............

3 comments:

RobinH said...

Oh, I *love* that finished table runner- such a cool blend of colors! As for the fabric...yeah, don't run low on wine if you're going to bring friends into the sewing room. And the new corduroy will make a great shirt. Just not with topstitching.

Mereknits said...

I think you had a typo, the tunic is for me right? I would like to also order one in that fun brown/pink print. That should use up some of your stash.
Hugs,
Meredith

Amy at love made my home said...

Yay! You are doing so well!! Just think how much space you are going to have by the end of the year, especially if you keep going at this pace, you could get really close to the 200 yards!! xx