Thursday, January 14, 2016

Prepare Yourself For A Shock!

I managed to go to a fabric store for this:
and didn't even look at the fabric!  I know!!!!!!  I did pick up a few Christmas closeout floral picks, but I still walked out of Joann Fabrics having spent less than $6!!!! 

Originally, I had planned to buy NO crafting supplies at all this year, but thread to finish a project seems reasonable, and over the weekend we ran across these at a thrift store,
for $3, so let's just say I'm not spending MUCH on crafting.  I can't say that I even know what to do with this one,
 and there are 4 of these,
 which I may never do anything with, but now that 1.) I've come to terms with the bifocals/reading glasses and can see well enough to paint details, and 2.) I'm not frantically trying to finish a huge bunch of gifts, I hope to break out the paints and tackle some ornaments soon.  I'm not good at it, but I enjoy it.

Interestingly, even though I really only opted to wear handmade things on Mondays, the whole challenge has made me reexamine the things I've already made.  This:
 is a fleece jacket I made a few years ago, and I think I've only worn it twice--including yesterday.  The sleeves are about an inch too long, which is sort of amazing as I'm 5' 8" and fitting my shoulders and arms has usually been a bit of a challenge, so I have no idea who they thought might have arms THAT long.  The pattern called for small shoulder pads, which Milo here would really need, but I have broad, square shoulders and don't need them.  And I must have done a really poor job on the buttons, because the top one is barely hanging on.  So, I am going to fix the button and shorten the sleeves on this jacket to make it wearable.  I have decided that this year will be going through the things I've already made and either wearing them, fixing them, or donating them.  So, I'll either be gaining a wardrobe or closet space.............or a big pile of "things to be fixed" that I will keep meaning to get to.....  But it's January!  Think BIG!

6 comments:

Kathleen C. said...

Only the one spool of thread!?! Good thing I was sitting down already! ;^)

Amy at love made my home said...

You have to buy thread otherwise you won't be able to make anything else! Hope that the jacket fix goes well. xx

Book Dragon said...

I'm so excited for you! I did this with Hobby Lobby recently. I only needed yarn and I only got the yarn I needed. It helped that it wasn't on sale ;-)

I love the idea of wearing handmades on Monday. This is the year I actually have handmades to wear!

Mereknits said...

I think that is a great idea, you will have lots more to ear and if you don't like what you made someone else will love it.
Hugs,
Meredith

handmade by amalia said...

Any reasonable person would make an exception for thread. Coming out of the shop with just thread, now that is something.
Amalia
xo

omly said...

Similarly, I just blogged about mending a bunch of socks to put them back into rotation. So I totally understand the desire to fix or let go of handmade items that aren't able to currently be used.