Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Having Recovered From the Trauma.......

Sunday I laid the fabric out flat on the floor
(probably among the top 10 things I'm not really supposed to do because of my back), and found that if I changed the orientation of the collar pieces, I could get the shirt cut out.  It's not something I'd do with cheap fabric, but this one is pretty straight grain-wise, so I remarked the grainline on the collar pieces, and ACTUALLY remembering to make sure one front and one sleeve were cut with the pattern right-side-up and one of each WRONG side up, I got all the pieces cut out and
have even made some progress!  The shirt pattern I'm using is one I've made fairly frequently, and one of the features I like on it is the button band, which on solid prints one can roll to the outside to create the look of an added band.  I did think about trying it with this shirt, but the back
is enough of a darker shade that I thought it would look strange, and I thought one error per shirt is really enough for any project--which is a brave thing to say considering I still have long sleeves WITH CUFFS and the two-part collar still to go. 

When I finally get this finished, I will have used over 40 yards of fabric for the year.  Not as much as I had intended, but I am thrilled to be using up one of the oldest fabrics in my stash.  The blue moleskin was even older, though I'm a bit less thrilled about that as the shirt is an unwearable disaster.  STILL, a stash is much less frightening if one is actually using it up (albeit slowly).  Really, REALLY slowly............

 Speaking of slow, I wasn't feeling very good yesterday, so the new scarf and I spent the day together,
and I have finished the second of 7 pattern repeats.  It's going much faster now that I can see the pattern developing and know what I'm doing. The yarn I'm using is actually a light-fingering/heavy lace, so slightly lighter than the pattern called for, so it will have a lovely drape to it.  I'm really pleased with how it is turning out--which is good because as soon as I get this one done, I have to cast on a second.  And I'm very close to using up my first ball of yarn, which will put me 330 yards toward my new staying-on-the-sheep incentive planI packed up almost all the new yarn I bought and have NOT logged it on Ravelry.  For every 5,000 yards of yarn I knit from stash, I can get one package out of the box.  I'm guessing I will have LONG forgotten what I bought by the time I get there, so it will be a surprise AND new yarn, and 5,000 yards is quite a bit of knitting--two or three sweaters--so I could keep this up for several years (I hope).  I think my STASH could last for 10 years of knitting, but I'm aiming for 3 at this point....maybe 5 if this works, because I can always add non-yarn "prizes" if I run low.  :)

Maybe maturity ISN'T getting control over one's inner child--it's learning how best to bribe her............:)

4 comments:

Mereknits said...

I think my stash could last a long time also but I am trying to tame it to reasonable levels. So far no yarn shopping for me in 7 months and 2 days, yup I am counting.
Hugs,
Meredith

Mandy said...

Well done on sorting out how to get the shirt cut out. Hope it all runs smoothly for you from now on.

handmade by amalia said...

Good for you, finding a clever solution! Looking forward to seeing the shirt.
Amalia
xo

RobinH said...

You're way ahead of me. What is the pattern for the scarf?