Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Cold

Boise has been setting records for low temperatures this week, which isn't quite as bad as it sounds.  Most of the windows in our house are covered with really nice blinds, and any doubts I had about them keeping the house slightly warmer have been dispelled by:
frost on the inside of the windows with drawn blinds.  This is good to know, because in a few years I am going to have to address the fact that no matter how expensive or well made blinds might be, the strings that operate them are all cheap pieces of junk with the sole purpose of getting twisted and breaking.  I don't know if they can be restrung or if I'll have to buy new blinds entirely--I thought I'd save looking into those fun options for when I absolutely have to.  In the meantime, I am keeping the blinds drawn against the balmy 15 degrees we're enjoying now, and the record-breaking 3 degrees overnight.

On the one hand, as a knitter, this sort of weather really makes my obsession hobby look really, really practical.  We live in the northern part of the US, and sweaters are not only [sometimes] fun to make, but completely and totally practical.  The household overabundance of sweaters and wool socks officially lowers our heating bill......even if for no other reason than because Andy is an easy-going man who leaves the thermostat programming up to the one with the wool obsession and I will take any excuse to explain a 10-year supply of yarn.

On the other hand, the reason we call the icky, nasty, feel-lousy germ-fests with no actual cure "colds" is that they tend to occur in cold weather.  Probably best, in all honesty, because "getting the warms" sounds like a fatal tropical disease.  I spent Sunday morning working on a new table runner design,
and by Sunday night at 6:00 I was in bed feeling too awful to even knit.  I know!  I have knit when coming out of anesthesia after surgery, but I just crawled into bed and didn't even dream about yarn.

Thankfully, yesterday I could at least knit, and today am functioning pretty well on Dayquil and tomorrow's high is supposed to reach all the way to 33 degrees.  Whew!  Heat wave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

6 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

Stay warm and safe in that weather! You are right, getting a warm sounds very odd doesn't it! xx

Mereknits said...

We will be near freezing tonight here in Florida, we are usually not like this until January. Stay warm and I hope you feel better.
Hugs,
Meredith

Anita Palmer said...

Love the table runner. Can't wait to see it finished. Cold and black ice in southern Indiana.....can't wait till heat wave of 30 this weekend! Took a break from my poinsettia shawl to work in a new wool swearer at knit shop tonight. Stay warm.
Anita

RobinH said...

Oh! That table runner is spectacular! I love the autumny colors. (So much warmer and nicer that what's outside your windows!)

I hope you're feeling better soon. And I wish we didn't have to send you this sentiment so often :(

Maureen said...

Looks like you have more snow than we have! Keep warm!

Jess said...

The new table runner is beautiful! I hope you feel better and you guys stay warm!