Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Toni in Wonderland

So the new allergy drugs make me sleepy.  I feel like Alice in Wonderland with the cake and mushrooms and whatever else she took to make her grow and shrink.  Mercifully, none of them have made me grow as I really don't need that.  But today I am trying the scary-hyper drugs during the day and the sleepy steroid nose spray at night.  It will reduce the effectiveness of the steroid, but it also took the steroid a while to make me sleepy, so I'm hoping to get a break from that as well.

Crafting goes a bit slower when one is sleepy, but there are a couple new lace ornaments,
 the kimono shawl is now more than half way done,
YAY!  The icky yarn has been delivered to our local branch library, I have cut out fabric strips for new kimono ornaments,
tried to do some laundry,
and decided to try out the fabric garland pattern.  I swear that the fact that it sounded like a quick project that would add 4 yards to my tally had nothing to do with it..............Or if it did, I have been justly punished for such an idea.

 I started off well.  I have a wavy wheel for my rotary cutter, and while I cannot use it in conjunction with my rulers, it was actually far easier to draw faint lines with yellow chalk and cut along the line anyway.  It makes a nice effect,
 and hopefully stops raveling. 

In the directions, before the designer got the ruffler, she gathered them by hand, so putting two strips together,
 I started gathering by hand.  Did I mention I am not great at hand sewing?
Yep--that's blood.  I stabbed myself in the thumb.  But being as accident-prone as I am, this would not be the first bloodshed during decorating as there was a spectacular incident with my last real Christmas tree that involved 5 stitches.  After I quit bleeding, I continued to speed along until my thread broke.  I had the thread doubled over, but I was using the Coats & Clark thread that won't work in my machine, and apparently hand sewing is too much for it as well.  I tied it off, rethreaded and tried again, making it only a little way before the thread broke a second time.  I know it isn't the best thread on the market, but seriously????? 

Putting that garland away for its own safety, last night after a day of cleaning and putting up fall decorations, I decided to try a different methodInitially I was going to just zigzag over a piece of cotton crochet thread, but I didn't want the weight of the thread added to the garland, so instead I dug out my multi-cord foot.
Sorry it's such a bad picture, but the foot has 7 holes in it, and by threading some of the dratted Coats and Clark thread through two of them and improvising a way for everything to spin freely without being all over the floor,
 I stitched two of the pieces together by zigzagging over the top of the thread.  I had a VERY proud moment at the end when I remembered to tie a knot in the C&C threads so they wouldn't come unthreaded when I was finished. 
 Just two threads isn't such a big deal, but I have used it with all 7, and most of the day was spent threading the darn thing. 

 That worked pretty well for gathering, though I had a bit of a hard time with the next step.  She had satin stitched across the top to secure the ruffle.  I tried a bit more of a zigzag, which of course did not work.  In the end, I just stitched 3 straight lines and called it good.  Mine is not nearly as pretty as hers, but then again, I'm not trying to sell them either.  Finally,
I have a finished garland!  After the fluffing (which is when one understands why there are TWO fabric strips), I am pleased with how it came out.  I still need to add ties of some sort, but I needed a bit of a break.  I'm already thinking of doing a set of these in two shades of green for spring--which of course, I don't already have and which would not use anything in the fabric stash.  I think I see a chance for a bribe here...................

2 comments:

RobinH said...

Ah, you too have a laundry assistant. (Mine doesn't climb in the dryer as a rule, but does bat the handknit socks off the drying rack as I hang them up.)

Congratulations on finally triumphing over the ruffle! That's one of the things I hate about gathering. I have a spool of heavy-duty nylon thread (used for sewing together braided rugs among other things) that works well to avoid the breakage problem. Of course you trade the breakage problem for the issue of drawing blood when you go to pull it through (after which I remember to put on the leather finger protector...)

Mereknits said...

You are doing pretty well for being sleepy. Glad I am not the only one who draws blood when trying to hand sew.
Hugs to you,
MEredith