Friday, August 29, 2014

Which Injury Were We On?

The stubbed toe is healing, the carpal tunnel issues are improving, the first round of scratches are scabbed over.......so Wednesday night when I gave Theo his dose of sticky, awful meds, he got one claw deeply embedded in my left hand--right between the second and third knuckles, and it took me FOREVER (probably 30 seconds) to wrestle a wiggling and ticked-off 18-pound cat into a position where I could remove his claw without ripping my hand wide open, all the while trying not to scream in pain because a frightened wiggling and ticked-off 18-pound cat is more than I can handle.  He left a nice puncture mark that didn't bleed much, but hurt like crazy.  After my father's ordeal with the staph infection, we're probably maniacs about infections, but I immediately washed my hands twice with lots of soap, then applied antibiotic cream and a bandage, and took an Aleve for pain.

Yesterday my hand was still throbbing, and most tragically of all, I couldn't knit.  Not even a little.  Curious, I finally took the bandage off to discover that the area underneath the bandage had swollen into an extra knuckle, which explained the pain.  I iced it yesterday and continued to take an anti-inflammatory, and today it's sore but almost back to the correct size.  And we have one more dose of the icky goo to get through tonight, and Theo and I can start healing the physical (me) and emotional (him) scars.............

4 comments:

kathy b said...

ouch. SO SOrry that happened to you. YOu are correct to keep it ultra clean and ice it.

RobinH said...

Only one more day. Hold onto that.

bittenbyknittin said...

Hope you have had a tetanus shot recently. ;-)

Mandy said...

Ouch! Good luck with the final dose of medicine too. You are already doing the best thing in keeping that puncture wound clean.