Sunday, July 13, 2014

And the Recovery.............

We had a fabulous time last night and got to catch up with lots of great people.  I'm pretty wiped out, but I have to show you this:
A friend of ours does portraits for everyone when they turn 50, so this is Andy with the one she did for him.  It's hard to blow it up enough to see, but she gave him a mandolin earring, and reflected in one of the lenses on the glasses is a ball of yarn and needles to represent me, and on the other side is a cat just peaking over the edge.  It's wonderful--we had to hang it up first thing this morning.  Don't you just love it when people share their creativity?  I just love this picture.

Today Andy went out with a friend to listen to some blues, but I am resting and staying well away from the heat.  I don't know why barbecuing is so popular in the summer.  It was over 100 last night, and bright bulb that I am, I had invited everyone over for barbecued hamburgers and sausages with a selection of my homemade mustards and relishes.  The mustard and relish part worked out well.  The standing-over-an-open flame-in-100-degree-heat was a bit much for me.  But, doing something as daft as that REALLY put things in perspective for me, so I have finally mustered up the courage to tackle this:
For one, the air conditioning is on full blast.  For another, the sewing room has a ceiling fan.  For a third, I want the use of my table back.  So, I pinned and pinned and pinned, then gathered the whole mess up,
and am sewing the whole thing together.  This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO going to be an only child.  I gave up on it being exactly even, and have even abandoned the hope that it will lay totally flat.  I just want it to be done and possibly usable.  If not, at least I can use my table again.  And,
I cast on that next pair of socks to help cope with any stress or trauma I might end up with.  I find it best to be prepared......................

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Knitting socks is the best stress relief! I'm looking forward to seeing how your sewing project comes out.

Gaidig said...

I think that grilling in the summer is a thing because at least you're not heating up you house with turning on the range, but it sounds like you need to make a solar cooker, or to look into cooking the kinds of dishes they make in super hot regions of the world for next time.

RobinH said...

I think the whole summer grilling thing is intended for places like NH, where you grill in 85 degree heat, not 100+!

The whole ribbon thing looks very intriguing...rather like a giant cat toy, in fact.

kathy b said...

what a great 50 gift. SO cool.

Mereknits said...

It is lovely to see Andy in real form and in painted form, how creative your friend is. Hope you are rested from the big party.
Hugs to you and Happy B-day to Andy,
Meredith