Sunday, February 9, 2014

He Does It On Purpose

In the morning, Theo needs half a capsule of his "de-stress" meds, and both morning and evening, he needs a capsule of the glucosamine blend which treats his peeing problems.  They are capsules, and the vet said that it was easy and cats loved it, so all I needed to do was sprinkle the powder on his food.
I want to send Theo home with him for a weekend.  Because I am trying to give Theo wet food, he prefers dry.  He prefers his food in the new blue bowls because the disposable cat food containers I was using last fall are now no longer acceptable.  Leftover cans from the fridge must be left out to warm up slightly.  If I put the bowl too close to him, I'm too eager and obviously trying to poison him.  Seafood works best, except the expensive tilapia cat food, which neither cat will eat.  Beef is fine, but no chicken, though turkey is acceptable sometimes.  And it can't be pate--it has to be shreds or slices in gravy.  And sometimes for no reason, it's only okay if it's poured over his dry food, but then he won't actually EAT either the dry or wet food, but he will lick the gravy up from the plate, or at least sometimes.  If he walks out of the bedroom without even touching his food, I need to set it aside because he won't even consider it for the next two hours.  There has to be water mixed into the gravy--but not too much.  If I take too long mixing in the drugs and the water, then he wants water and won't touch the gravy.  He likes a particular fish in a particular brand which comes in slices and shreds, but one is much better than the other--usually the one I didn't buy.  If there are leftovers, it's best to serve them for dinner rather than breakfast because the odds of him eating it go down by 50% if I serve leftovers, but if I serve the same thing he had for breakfast, the odds are almost 90 to 1 against.  And once in a great while, when he can see my teeth clench and see the twitch start up over my left eye, he'll slurp up the meds with no fuss or hesitation, just to make sure I know that it can happen.  And this is all--mind you--to reduce THEO'S stress issues.  And this is going to happen for the rest of his life.

Next time we go on vacation, I am boarding Theo with the vet who described this as "easy."  It will serve them BOTH right.

3 comments:

Book Dragon said...

it is helping with Theo's stress. Nobody said anything about YOUR stress :-)

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

ROFLMAO!! Seriously. I am sorry for your stress, but it's seriously funny. Knock wood that my cats are not that fussy as far as food goes, but there are all sorts of exercises I have to go through for individual cats when giving pills. It's always best to start with clipping their claws so I survive the endeavour.


I hear wine helps with stress.

bittenbyknittin said...

Oh, you know what would happen if Theo stayed with the vet - Theo would take those meds with whatever food the vet fed him. In fact, if your vet is like mine, he can pry open a pet's mouth with a deft motion of one hand and pop a pill into the back of the pet's throat with the other hand, all of which happens so fast it induces instant swallowing of said pill. It's infuriating!