Yesterday I decided to kick off my sewing adventures with a scarf project I'd seen online somewhere, using some scrap yarn I have:
I did manage to get some pajamas cut out in spite of my "help,"
I am making the green pajamas from this pattern:
My fabric stash is a bit like an archeological site--I can sort of date fabric from where they are. This has been in my stash several years--possibly even from before moving into the house--because it had good shelf space in the actual closet.
While excavating the flannel-backed satin, I ran across some beautiful hunter green micro-suede, so it has now been washed and will be made into:
If I get all of THAT done, I'll have used up 10.875 yards of fabric from my stash. Considering I only used up about 14 yards of fabric TOTAL last year, that's an exciting number. I'm hoping, of course, to get a few more projects done as well, and have laundered fabric for a fleece jacket for Andy that he's requested for his Valentine's Day gift. He does his woodworking in the garage, which is rather arctic lately, so he's originally asked about 2 layers of fleece, which I think would work except for leaving a lot of bulk under the arms where the seams would be, so I'm thinking of making it with a layer of fleece and a layer of flannel--or perhaps 2 layers of flannel. I'll use this pattern again:
as this is probably Andy's favorite thing I've ever made for him, and nothing about it really depends on the fabric stretching, so I'm thinking it should work. We're after warmth over fashion, but I would like it to look nice. I have a lovely purple fleece that Andy likes, lots of white flannel, so that is the next project up if I get the others done. Generally I would have tackled the gift first, but I haven't really sewn in at least a year and am admittedly rusty, so I thought pajamas a safer place to start. Sometimes even I have the sense to know I might not be ready for improvising............