I had sort of hoped it would contain my new fingering-weight ornament yarn stash:
Not to let any grass grow under my feet, while I was sewing the bag together, Jeeves pumped out the three pieces for a 3-D gold ball ornament,
At some point in my manic fabric-acquiring zeal, I bought a packet of Christmas fat quarters involving a lime-green that wouldn't really work with any of my holiday color schemes. I don't know what I was thinking, but they seemed like a great place to start in the Great Ornament Experiment.
it's days are numbered
I have seen some cool variations of this sort of idea (though minus the frills and gingham), and one of my crafting books actually had the directions, so I sliced all the fat quarters into 2.5-inch strips,
The directions--obviously written by someone who DIDN'T just create a couple hundred of these little pieces, said to fold down 1/4-inch on the "long" side of each rectangle and press. I struggle with being able to accurately turn down 1/4 of an inch for hems at the best of times, and there is NO WAY I would make it through all of these without help, so I fired up the sewing machine, put on the 1/4-inch quilting foot with the built in guide, and basted all those little bits at the fold point:
The next step in the directions in this book which is in dire peril of being donated to the library shortly was to MARK the center of ever single little piece, then fold the hemmed side up to that line to form two points. Ironing the little rectangles in half is much faster and less likely to make me drink, so I spent a large chunk of my afternoon at the ironing board. Where I'll also be tomorrow......
By this point, I needed to rest my back (and this book and I needed serious time apart), but tonight I did pop into the sewing room to see if I could get an idea of how the ornaments were turning out.
Luckily, when I'd marked the underlayer earlier I had used chalk instead of one of the disappearing markers, which always wear off FAR faster than I quilt,
Thank heavens for knitting!