Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Crafting Christmas

Since we're going to be together a while, Andy and I borrowed an idea from friends of ours to do "themes" for Christmas gifts.  Some years we've done cooking as the theme, but for the last 2-3 years we've made "Hobbies" the theme because it's just so much fun for us.  Andy does woodworking, so every year I make a trip to our local wood working store to pick out interesting wood to give him, which sounds a lot like giving someone coal, but is exciting for wood crafters.  He bought a lathe a few years ago, so since then I've bought him some pen kits and wood for turning.  Because of all my ongoing back issues, we have just taken a slow week, so he finally got the chance to make a couple of the pen kits I gave him two years ago.  The first one (a fountain pen) he was tremendously pleased with.  The second,
also a fountain pen, he said had some mistakes.  Being no idiot, I pounced on it.  I don't care at all about the spot on the finish--to me it is BEAUTIFUL.  I'm trying hard NOT to hope he makes a mistake with some of the wood I got him this year.....

1 comment:

RobinH said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Makes me want a wood lathe. Of course I wasn't actually all that keen on turning when I took machining lo these mumble-years ago, but soooo pretty!