Thursday, November 29, 2012

Fast Knitting

Gaidig raised an interesting point yesterday--bigger needles don't always mean faster knitting.  Actually, I don't often knit with anything bigger than size 8s because the big needles feel uncomfortable.  Of course, there are still faster options than this:
which is the project that got all the attention yesterday.  Does anyone think size 1 needles are the fastest knitting option?  I was actually planning on tackling some sweater WIPs because I have THREE sweaters really close to being finished--two of which I can even locate.  But, Monday I lifted some weights, walked in the pool for an hour, assembled the monster tree:
had a turkey-rematch, vacuumed the stairs, and did lots of physical therapy exercises.  As you might have guessed, Tuesday was a bit painful, but my back did pretty well--or well enough for me to think another hour of walking in the pool yesterday would be a good idea.  So, whether or not the socks are fast or slow knitting, they are the only current project that are considered "safe" for a knitter doped up on pain killers and Valium while she ices her back to reduce inflammation.  I think that's a whole new knitting category for me......

2 comments:

Gaidig said...

"they are the only current project that are considered "safe" for a knitter doped up on pain killers and Valium while she ices her back to reduce inflammation"

See, this is why I was surprised that you ripped out that EZ sweater. You seems to need mindless knitting sometimes. (Ok, so everyone needs mindless knitting sometimes...)

bittenbyknittin said...

If by fast knitting, you are going for yardage, yes, US1s are the way to go (think socks at 400+ yards). If you are going for finished objects, though, larger needles and smaller projects would be better (like hats or mittens). IMHO.

Sometimes I sleep on a pallet of comforters on the floor when my back is bothering me. Getting up off the floor is an issue, though.