Tuesday, September 11, 2012

There Are NOT 50,000 Yards of Yarn Headed My Way..

....for which I am feeling tremendously proud.  While we knew he was really sick, we only now realize that my father was really in danger when he was admitted to the hospital, and we're lucky to still have him.  This morning the did the surgery that we thought they would do 2 weeks ago, but which the surgeon told us last night that they couldn't do earlier because Dad just wouldn't have survived.  That thought will send you home to get a good night's rest.  So this morning Mom and I were at the hospital bright and early, and admittedly pretty sleep-deprived and on-edge, and instead of the doctor coming out to talk to us as many were doing, we were moved to a small consulting room just inside the surgery area.  There were exactly 3 things to read in that room:  a flier entitled "What to do when the worst happens" (or something equally uplifting), a pamphlet on the chaplain services available in the hospital, and a Bible.  I don't know exactly what health problem one is most likely to incur when dealing with severe anxiety and stress, but whatever it is, after waiting 20 minutes in that room I'm surprised neither Mom nor I were hospitalized for it.  This is just not something you should do to people who have been dealing with near-fatal illness for 2 weeks.  By the time the doctor came to tell us everything went fine I looked worse than my father did in the recovery room.  If there were ever a day when I was going to stress-shop, this is it, but so far--while there are two Disney movies headed our way--there is not a single skein of yarn.  Yet...............

8 comments:

RobinH said...

Glad to hear that things are looking up.

Book Dragon said...

I'm happy that things went well and applaud your restraint about the yarn. I don't know if I could have done as well.

Gaidig said...

Glad to hear that the surgery went well, and kudos to you on the yarn buying front. Now go cast on something soothing. Knitting will make you feel better than buying ever would.

Ella said...

Just hugs because I really don't know what else to say.

Mereknits said...

Good news about your Dad, hope his recovery goes well. ANd if you had faltered and bought yarn no one would ever blame you.
Sending you a special hug,
Meredith

Mandy said...

So glad to hear that things are going better with your father, and hope he continues to recover well.
What a dreadful room to be left in. Not the kind of comfort you both needed at the time. I wonder if the hospital realises what a negative impact this had on both you and your mum.

Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your Dad. Knit on. I hear it takes the edge of stress. Mittens like a tight gauge. HUGS

Kathleen C. said...

Oh my Goodness... LOTS of good thoughts, and healthy karmic wishes for your Dad!
And waves of stress free soothing thoughts to you!