Sunday, July 24, 2011

To Button or Not To Button?

I thought it only appropriate to start Craft Weekend with some embroidery

and I think Theo is thrilled.
I can't blame him--I'm pretty thrilled to have Jeeves working again, but so far, laying on kitchen towels doesn't have the same effect on me.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Next up, I started working on a table runner for my friends for whom I recently made the primary color placemats.  I haven't done much with applique, but I like how it looks with the decorative stitching instead of satin stitching around the edges. 
Now I'm stuck, though.  I can't decide if I should add buttons
or just leave it with the main shapes.  I'm going to make this reversible, so adding buttons to one side might not be a great idea for the opposite side, but I don't know how flat it really needs to be.  So, what do we think--buttons or no?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to have Jeeves working again! If you're planning to make this reversible, I'd forego the buttons, unless you put bottons in the exact same place on the other side. On second thought leave them off, but what about some decorative stitches, as the runner seems a bit empty without them. I love the colors! Melodye
melodyesneedlenotes.blogspot.com

Daniele said...

Buttons or no, it looks awesome! Love the colors.

Also, I'm going to go lay down on a kitchen towel now and I'll let you know if it does anything for me. chortle!! :D

Love that cat!

RobinH said...

I'm torn. The buttons are really cute, but what if you wanted to put say, a centerpiece on the runner? Wouldn't the buttons make it wobble?

(Aw, Theo! Fur that towel! Good boy!)

Gaidig said...

The buttons ARE super cute, but I agree with RobinH, it would make the runner more difficult to use for placing centerpieces or plates on. How about embroidering little shapes instead?

carolyn said...

I agree with Gaidig, Go with some embroidered shapes. I think the stars (though super cute) might make it hard to set anything on.