Friday, June 10, 2011

No Wonder

There's still no word on Jeeves yet, but I have a lot of faith in the new dealer and I know he's actually looking for the problem, so I'm not too worried about it.  I did, however, finally find an answer to a question that is bouncing around the internet.

Husqvarna sewing machines have changed drastically since the VSM buyout.  They used to be made in Sweden.  They are NOW made in Shanghai, China.  So, it doesn't just feel  like the company has changed and that the machines one used to be able to depend on are total crap.  When was the last time you heard of a product made in China that wasn't cheap unreliable garbage?

The good news is that Jeeves and Emma are both old enough to have been manufactured in Sweden, so I'm set for a while, but I would never buy a Husqvarna again.  Thousands of dollars for junk produced in China?  Not likely.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh dear, such sad news. I too used to have Husqvarna machines. Both are now with my daughters and still working well (33 years and 10 years respectively - the ages of the sewing machines, that is.)
I now have a Brother - which works so smoothly - I love it. (Made in Japan.)
I do hope your new dealer can sort out Jeeves for you.

Abby said...

I've seen the same drop in quality when other companies have been bought out, even with things like shoes and dog food. The purchasers are buying the smaller companies' reputation, then they trash it by cheapening the product.

RobinH said...

I deal with Chinese manufacturing firms a lot professionally, and it's kind of a scrum over there right now. The standard of living is rising so fast for the professional classes that experienced people are changing jobs every six months to get salary rises. Companies are trying to source raw material and sub-components locally for cost reasons- and even if they don't intend to accept lower quality, you have problems of translation of requirements, and lack of infrastructure. I'm a bit surprised that so many companies still think that chasing cheap labor is going to benefit them, but I suppose it must, at least on the balance sheet.