Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Okay, I'm Ready To Talk About It Now

Let's take a minute and refresh everyone's memories, shall we?

Remember the ill-fated pajama top incident?  (For a refresher, see here, here, and here)  Remember how I had finally purchased some solid brown coordinating flannel to make a new top, and how I drew that bag for the Project of the Month for September?
My trust sidekick and I decided we had better get cracking, so I cut out the back and the facing, then opened the material up to cut out the remaining pieces, only to discover......
I don't have enough material!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can you believe it????  I think I got this material from Joanns (having not saved the info because I got as much material as the pattern said, so I assumed there was no reason and brown flannel is brown flannel), so I'm hoping to be able to match it and have a swatch stuffed in my purse for when I've calmed down enough to be reasonable and not come home with 14 bolts of the silly stuff.  Obviously, I was not happy.  Theo even found it safer to move to some fabric I'd left lying on the floor....
 and sewing and I decided we needed a little time apart.  

I consoled myself with some work on the new socks, 
 then--prepare yourselves for a shock--I dug out the Kauni cardigan!!!!!
 It had been languishing in my knitting bag since I ran into problems with adding a new ball of yarn.  I was toying with how to proceed (and putting off frogging a few rows because this is really sticky yarn), but I was in a bit of a destructive mood after the pajama incident, so I cheerfully ripped back the knitting, and found a yarn end that would give me a "blended" change.  The change is not at all visible, and I have now even divided for the neck!

I decided to join the new yarn with the color changes going in the opposite direction.  I'm not sure how this will turn out, but I don't have very much farther to go on the top, and I thought it would be nice to have some new color combinations.  And the second ball of yarn is about to need replacing as well, so I can change things in a few rows if I need to anyway.
We'll see how it works.  You can't really see from the picture, but the current color pattern is a rusty red on a turquoise background, which is seriously ugly by itself but won't be that noticeable (hopefully) on the overall sweater.  I'll go back to the color-chasing scheme for the sleeves, as I like that look much better, though I might space them out just a bit more so the pattern is a bit easier to see. 

I need 30 more projects by the end of the year.  Which makes it a PERFECT time to pick up a sweater knit with fingering weight yarn, don't you think?????

6 comments:

carolyn said...

You crack me up!

RobinH said...

Ow. I didn't brace myself enough, and fell out of my chair when the Kauni reappeared. You may need to do a warning post before the actual post for that sort of thing. (It is really, really beautiful. Can't wait to see it done!)

And...do you have anything left of the patterned fabric from the pyjama bottoms, so you could make the tops with both fabrics and not have to buy more brown?

I have no comment on fingering weight yarn. *casts guilty glance at socks and tries not to think about needing more than two projects a week for the rest of the year.

Rachael said...

oooh, kauni, soooo pretty!! I have the yarn for one of those sweaters, but I am entirely intimidated by the much colorwork. I will enjoy admiring yours while you work on it though!

Mandy said...

Thanks for the comment on my own Blog. It looks as if you have been just as busy.

Janet said...

Love the Kauni sweater, the colors are gorgeous! If you have some leftover flannel that will co-ordinate with what you have, I would just use it! Of course, I am known for making do at times, lol. Theo looked happy for awhile, don't blame him on the shift in fabric beds though.

Daniele said...

Yay!! Kauni in the house!!!