Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Knitting on a Knitting Blog?

Really, what is the world coming to?

I have taken a bit of a break on the sewing marathon to give the sock a bit of attention, and I have turned the heel!  It's a really interesting heel
It's a basket weave pattern, using the slip 1, knit 1 pattern I usually use on heel flaps, but making a 4-row pattern of it, moving the slip 1 over by one stitch on the 3rd row, then back again on row 1.  I'm really pleased with it--it gives the thickness of the slip 1, knit 1 pattern, but looks more interesting. 

I've done the gusset decreases & am now just at the foot knitting, so I'm hoping that moves pretty quickly.  I have a whole second sock to do, after all......

Not that I've taken a break from sewing entirely.  I decided to take a break from garment sewing, so I played around with my first attempt at applique. 

I was pleased to find that there is actually something good about all those darn reply cards packed into every magazine,

they make decent pattern templates. 

I don't know if I have used fusible webbing before, but I have quite a bit on-hand, so it's possible.  I decided to use felt to start with, as I was thinking a looser zig-zag might look good
though if I were to do this again, I would use a satin stitch.  I haven't decided if I should add a handle to the little bag or not, and if I do, I want to incorporate a little red decoration somehow.  I would normally use decorative stitching, but that is one area that Bernie just isn't really that good at.  Maybe I'll have to wait for Jeeves.

Speaking of which, after TWO calls to the dealership, they finally called me with an update:  the part is IN and should have been shipped out to my dealer today, and I should have Jeeves home in about 2 weeks.....or about 9 weeks after taking him in for those of us who are counting.  Still, I won't complain....or won't complain more than I already have.  At least the part has finally been made/invented/whatever and there is an end in sight.  Interestingly enough, when I sarcastically wrote that I was hoping to get Jeeves back by the end of August, I was actually being a bit optimistic.  At least I should have him back in mid September at the latest.  Hopefully working this time.  I suppose I might have felt silly buying Bernie and then getting Jeeves back just a few days later.....but I think I could have gotten over it.......

6 comments:

RobinH said...

I think you'll find having the second machine to be useful...for example, being able to sew on Bernie while Jeeves is embroidering, for example!

Love the sock! It's coming out beautifully- I'm going to have to try that pattern...I like it a lot better on your sock than on the photo in the book.

Janet said...

Very cool yellow! Love the sock and the heel. I am with Robin, you will love having a second machine around, makes getting multiple projects finished easier!

tinebeest said...

Hey, you've got more than one set of knitting needles, so what's wrong with multiple sewing machines? ;-)

I'd be careful about their estimate of 2 weeks; their trackrecord for getting it right is not stellar...

Those yellow socks look lovely, and I will check out that heel because you are right: it is a nice one!

Mandy said...

So glad you have some news of Jeeves at last. I do hope that they keep to the two weeks and that he returns in perfect working order. I do liek the bright yellow socks.

Daniele said...

OH - like the sock! Is that also called an eye of partridge heel? I'm not sure as I've never done one. I don't think you slip stitch for them, tho? Maybe it's knits and purls for the partridge? oh - whatever!! lol

I'm so glad Jeeves is coming home. I say we should make him a cake. I'm really craving cake lately, can you tell???

Gramma Phyllis said...

Two machines are better than one. Bernie can be set up for "everyday" sewing and Jeeves for the fancy stuff.

Love the yellow sock. I tend to use the eye of the partridge (which is another name for the pattern you are using) for socks with a lacy leg pattern. They seem dressier than the standard slip stitch heel.