Tuesday, July 13, 2010

200!

I started "cold sheeping" on January 1, 2008.  Since then--aside from some year-end reward yarn purchases--I have been knitting exclusively from stash.  I admit, I was starting to feel like I haven't even made a dent in my stash, but on a whim I recently tallied up my stash-busting to date:

Today I used up my 200th ball of stash yarn.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No matter how you look at it, 200 skeins of yarn is a lot of yarn.  Want to know how much 200 skeins of yarn actually is?  It would look something like this:
From a how-much-closet-space-it-took-up point of view, this would be quite a conservative picture as I have knit up all my really bulky-weight yarns, and a good chunk of this pile is laceweight because it is the easiest bin to get to, but it is STILL an amazing amount of yarn.  No wonder the stash didn't all fit into the sewing room!

I believe the planned/allowed purchases would come to no more than 35 skeins, so even with that, for the last two and a half years, I have knit 4 times the amount of yarn I've purchased.  Can you believe it?  Usually I've maybe been averaging knitting about half the yarn I purchase in a year if I'm lucky (and have misplaced the credit card for a REALLY long period of time).....I am just SO excited about how much yarn this really is!!!!!  Or I will be--right after I get those 200 balls of yarn put back into the closet.........

ETA:  Double-checking my math, I have now used 220 balls of yarn from the stash.  Even better!  Later tonight I will add it again and am hoping for 240.........

8 comments:

Gaidig said...

Way to go Toni!!

tinebeest said...

Marvellous news, Toni!

I'm not sure about the 240, I have a vague suspicion that maths doesn't work like that, unless there are multiple white choc martinis involved...

Janet said...

Go girl go! You are making a dent in the stash. Definitly worth pulling out 200 skeins of yarn just for a visual. Sometimes that is all it takes to get more incentive to keep on knitting!

Janet said...

By the way, have you ever thought of setting the yarns up in various projects ready to go??? I have found that it keeps me on track for using up some of the stash! Although mine is in 8 large storage bins, plus some various smaller bins.

Mandy said...

Well done. You really have made amazing progress.

RobinH said...

That's fantastic! Terrific progress!

carolyn said...

Congratulations, Toni! You are an inspiration, truly!!!

Kritters by Karen said...

wow! I'm amazed that you have (had) over 200 skeins to use up!!

I'm trying to use up my stash but I finally had to just sell part of it ... (then I used some of the money from that to buy more but let's not tell anyone about that ...)

I'm down to about 50-60 skeins and you are an inspiration to me to keep crocheting/knitting and stop buying!