Tuesday, June 22, 2010

So The Knitting WAS Going Strong.....

The revised version of Andy's birthday sweater is zipping along, and everything had been going reasonably well.  I'm knitting it in the round, and aside from the occasional need for a purl stitch or two, it's pretty mindless.  So mindless, in fact, that with the aid of my little Bookmate helper
to hold my book open, I have polished off two books and am on to my third (The Know-IT-All, about a man who sets off to read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica--who frankly sounds like a man after my own heart).  I was even pretty cheery considering that until I finish knitting up the rest of the yarn from the back that I'm frogging,

I don't get to count ANY of this yarn on the stash-busting tally as it's already on there.  Still, I've made it through the yarn from half a front and more than half of the back--helped of course by the fact that that bottom edge is STILL rolling and always would and there would have been no point in deluding myself any longer.

BUT, I made the ultimate mistake this afternoon.  I picked up the sweater to knit, but without a book.  I thought it might just be nice to sit and knit and think about nothing.....which is not possible.

"....and another round we go.....the new fence does look nice.....I should fix that steak for lunch tomorrow, maybe as kabobs.......I need to remember to check the birthday calendar for the rest of the month......I wish my stupid arm would heal already....what is Theo doing to the radishes now?  Oh, ewwww........I should probably plant another row of beans today. It said every two weeks, but was that for people who really love green beans or for anyone........and another round we go.....I miss Jeeves.....I wonder how long one would have to drive an ice cream truck before that ditsy music made one suicidal.......I hope I get Jeeves back by Friday.....and another round we go.....and another....I haven't made a baby sweater in a while.  Maybe that can be next...round and round....maybe not a BSJ this time........round and round.....the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round. The wheels on the bus......

And NOW every time I look at this sweater I hear that ditsy little song in my head.  I don't even know all the words, and yet I can't get rid of it--which is worse because I can't even vary it any.  Nope, every line for me is THE SAME.  Over & over & over & over........................


AAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

carolyn said...

Oh, isn't that the truth? When it's time to zone out, your brain won't turn off. Frustrating! Can't wait to see how this man sweater looks finished!

D. Carlen said...

You're knitting along, perfectly I might add, AND READING A BOOK...? I don't think I could do both at the same time. Craft and "watch" tv...yes...read a book that isn't the pattern I'm working on....no. Craft without a pattern, yes...but again, read a book while? You're a better man than I, gunga din. :)

Dana KBS said...

Reading during Stockinette should be a category for the next Knitting Olympics, no? I read Helen of Troy by Margaret George (624 pages) whilst knitting the endless stockinette body of M's last sweater...it was great.

But maybe that's what's keeping me from finishing, er, working on, his latest choice? At least it has cables. But I"m not looking forward to those man-size stockinette sleeves...