Tonight I decided to finally cast on the Monkey Socks for the May Project of the Month. Since I am NOT using the stretchy yarn and they are not toe-up socks, I decided not to use my traditional cable cast on as it doesn't have very much stretch and tends to make sock bands that cut off circulation. I decided to use the long-tail cast on.
Which, it turns out, I had forgotten.
Now, I don't particularly like the long-tail cast on. EITHER I run out of "tail" with just 5 or 6 stitches left to cast on OR I end up with a humongous tail which generally turns out to be the exact amount of yarn I'll ultimately be short to finish the project. But, I have been knitting for over 30 years and have used the long-tail cast on quite often--often enough that it's embarrassing to find a stick & string in my hand and be unsure what to do with either one. I actually had to look it up!!!!!!
I have had a lot of ups & downs with projects, but I think it's fair to say that this is the first time I've received a total arse-kicking from a project before even starting it!!!!!
Monkey socks: 1, Toni: 0