Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'm In Triangle Hell

I made the mistake of doing all the large triangles first, so now I'm slogging though the 24 little triangles needed for every single block. 


I have been doing a few at a time so that I have blocks moving forward in stages so I can at least see them--and so I don't find myself banging my head on the table (which would of course be cushioned by a pile of triangles)

Of course, I have my sidekick with me....
and has lost a little fur here & there to the rotary cutter, but otherwise 

Yesterday I thought I was getting close to being done, and decided to figure out how many more triangles I needed before I cut out the next strips.  Now, there are SOME points when doing the math is a good idea.  I don't think this was one of them.  After carefully counting the blocks & figuring out how many more I needed, I discovered I still needed one hundred and eighty-six squares, which would need 372 more triangles. 

Oh my.

I think I have met the fabric equivalent of the purple mohair swoopies........heaven help me!

4 comments:

Gaidig said...

I thought there was some kind of trick to those where you sew bigger pieces and cut them into smaller ones, making it much easier...

Toni said...

I did learn another way in a quilting class, but I honestly thought it took longer than just sewing triangles, unless they were really tiny. So.....

tinebeest said...

Oh noes! Triangle swoopies!

I can only say it will make for some entertaining blogging...

RobinH said...

Gaidig, isn't that the trick where you sew two long strips together on the top and bottom edge, and then cut them alternating 45 degree angles and 90 degrees to get a whole bunch of triangles at once? I remember it as being mildly tricky, because you have to account for seam allowances on both sides, as well as between the pieces.

Clearly, Toni, doing math is just going to get you in trouble on this one. Just think about triangles. Become one with the triangles....