Sunday, April 13, 2008

Frogging Month

Remember these from yesterday???
Today we hit a bit of a snag. The pattern said to start the toe decrease about 2 inches before the desired length of the sock, decreasing every other row--which I did (I know--that surprised me, too). The result left me with a sock that was still one inch too short. Now, not every project has to be perfect, but when a sock is already made of a scratchy yarn with dubious merits as a foot covering, THEN develops pattern problems......

Not exactly what I was aiming for this month, but to be fair, it is no longer a Work In Progress.

After that episode, I did not feel I should be allowed around other yarn, so I resumed work on a quilt for a friend's upcoming 50th birthday. I finished the main part months ago, and had been trying to decide what sort of decorative quilting to do on it, but after putting the sashing on it today

I don't know--I think I like it plain. I don't know if it's just because I find it soothing after getting my ass kicked by a sock, or if it highlights the music pattern as is

but right now I'm tempted to keep it really very simple. Thoughts?

5 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

I like it plain. I think it brings more attention to the music notes.

=)

Jill said...

I would do one of two things - leave it plain or go crazy and put on two more borders - a really bright one like red but fairly thin and a thick black one.
Either way- it's very neat!

Donna said...

I like it simple. The light material pops out without drawing the eye to a fancy border.

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt. Less is always more they say, about adding fancy stitches on top. You could do just a little "stitch-in-the-ditch" with black thread around the blocks. That would be all I would do. Definitely not using white thread (although I would be sorely tempted!). Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing!
Daniele

RobinH said...

I'd probably quilt in the ditch around the zigzags and then do five straight lines of quilting across the black spaces with a g-clef or something else suitably musical (black on black tho) in the black spaces to continue the musical theme.

Whatever you do will be lovely, I'm sure. The high contrast makes the whole piece very striking.