Sunday, March 16, 2008

Oh My Goodness!


I have 46,634 yards of lace weight yarn in my stash.

WOW.

What I have on the needles this year will use up 5190 yards, and I've used about 1500 yards so far this year, but still....

WOW.

Lace weight yarn is obviously very sneaky. It's small, doesn't take up much room, and is generally much less expensive than say, yarn for a sweater. This is obviously their plan--lulling you into a false sense of security--a feeling of harmlessness. What harm would one more hank do? What's a little merino between friends?

And that skein of alpaca--why it weighs almost nothing! What harm could it do?


Mohair? It's mostly fuzz--that doesn't take up much room!

They sneak up on you, one by one, looking totally soft & harmless, then before you know it....BAM! You have enough yarn to knit lace for the next 10 years.

"Denial" is not just a river in Egypt--it's apparently a yarn shop with terrific discounts on lace weight.

4 comments:

AlisonH said...

But! You can take that laceweight, pull out a spinning wheel, and make a three-ply yarn good for knitting a sweater or vest out of to hurry it all up. Been there, done that after once scoring ten *pounds* of laceweight 90% natural brown cashmere at $15/lb. Why yes, I did clear that seller's stock out...

toni in florida said...

Thank the yarn gods that the must-knit-lace monster has not noticed me yet... at least not full force. I did purchase enough to make one of those lace cowl/hood thingies (from a recent Knitty), but haven't used it yet. And I hid like hell from the bead monster who also has a vested interest in that pattern!

ddknits said...

I can't believe you were brave (or crazy) enough to add up your yardage of lace weight. I have the same problem, and worse for sock yarn because I started with socks first. I really love your last paragraph about Denial. Haven't started Dem Fischer because other projects got in the way, but it's on my list because I have 2 cones of Zephyr that need to be knitted up. I do love KALs, just don't have enough hours in the day.
Debra

Jill said...

I hate it when people count the yardage of their stash. It makes me think I should be responsible and I just can't ahndle that right now!